Sunday, September 15, 2024

"OFF TO A ROUGH START"

Sunday, September 8, 2024

I made a mistake. I should have known better. Lemme rephrase that -- I DID know better!

I’m supposed to leave home today.  But I made a mistake!

Last Friday, September 6th, I picked up my camper, which had been in storage at Galaxy Campers (Ontario, CA) since October 2022. David Yavelak, the owner and my go-to “camper guy,” had done a few repairs and prepped the camper for this, my five-week trip to Arizona and New Mexico.

David and his son, Steven, loaded my camper onto my truck and, to give me a head start, David turned on the fridge for me. Frozen and cold food and drinks were going to be the very last items for me to load, from my home refrigerator, into the camper’s fridge and freezer. That was supposed to have been done this morning. I was supposed to leave home around noon, today. Neither happened…because I made a mistake!

Back to last Friday…

With the camper now on my truck, I stuck around Galaxy for a few hours to make up my bed. The cabover camper bed isn’t easy to prepare -- and on a hot day, too -- but David, as he did with the fridge, also turned on the camper’s air conditioning for me (bless you, David!). I put clothes and other items away and then returned to my condo in Palm Springs and parked on my driveway, which (and therein my mistake) has a slight slope. Parking on that slope was a prelude to a problem because, (a) the fridge was in the “ON” mode, and, (b) the camper was not level. The RV rule of thumb, for the fridge to function properly, the RV must be level. That includes my camper on my truck.

In the past I would start my trip the very next day. But not this time. I decided to host, for the second time, a “Camper Open House” at my condo on Saturday, September 7th from 1-4 pm. About 30 people came -– an interesting mix of my Deaf and interpreter friends and several hearing people, including some of my neighbors. My brother, Bill, and Nigel, his partner, were also there to assist me with the remarks that I gave. The highlight of my remarks was the opportunity for me to share why I love to travel in my truck camper. My sister, Evelyn, joined me, via Facetime, for this part of my remarks. Together (with Bill holding my iPad for me), Ev and I did a duet of the first stanza of “America the Beautiful” – she sang and I signed in ASL. As it turned out to be, although Ev and David, her husband, live in Rio Rancho, NM, they were in Durango, CO for a house/pet sitting assignment. For this duet, I stood in front of a boring white wall and Ev, being outside, had trees and a Colorado mountain range behind her. She provided a much better representation of America the Beautiful!

In the meantime, as I was grinning myself silly with how well the afternoon was going, my camper was on that driveway slope with the fridge…“ON.”

So, on this Sunday morning, as I was tying up loose ends, I checked the fridge to see how cold it had become. What I saw instead was the monitor flashing a “no co” alert. Both the fridge and freezer were warm and, as I later learned, “no co” meant the appliance was not cooling. I knew immediately that this was my fault. Parking on that slope, even if I had done it before, was a mistake…a major mistake. Dang! I certainly wasn’t being level-headed when I parked on my driveway last Friday!

Lesson #1 – Already described.

Lesson #2 – Don’t plan on a Sunday departure. Galaxy Campers is closed. David said, via texting with me, he’ll fix the problem tomorrow, Monday.

Lesson #3 – Don’t buy frozen and cold food items ahead of time. Make those purchases at a grocery store along the way.

Unable to leave home until tomorrow, I called the Cattail Cove State Park in Arizona to cancel tonight’s reservation, but to keep tomorrow’s reservation. Suffice it to say, no matter how carefully I may plan for my truck camper trips, the journey of my camper “adventures” -- as I’ve said a time or two before – includes setbacks, mishaps, and fiascos such as this.

The infamous slope! (Photo by Maureen Mazza)
          

A glimpse of the camper's interior. (Photo by Maureen Mazza)

        
Monday, September 9, 2024

I arrived at Galaxy Campers at 7:30 am and David got right to work. He reset the “control board,” located behind the fridge and turned the fridge on to the “AU” (automatic) mode. The fridge, which operates on three power sources: AC (electricity), DC (batteries), and LP (propane) – selected the “LP” mode. On the way back home, I bought ice for my large and small coolers. Ice will have to do until I can transfer the cold food items that I’d already bought to the camper’s fridge. Frozen food items that I also bought, I decided, will stay in my freezer at home.

I finally left home around noon and took I-10E and Rt. 95N to the Cattail Cove State Park, near Parker and Lake Havasu City, AZ. I’ve been here several times, usually reserving a site just steps from the Colorado River. The calm section of this majestic river, here at the state park, is the perfect spot for refreshing dips on extremely hot days like today.

Much to my dismay, though, the fridge was again flashing the “no co” alert. I texted David and my siblings, Ev and Bill, to inform them of the situation. Knowing me as well as they do, Ev and Bill could sense my growing frustration and discouragement. I had to cancel, last year, an extensively researched 2+ month trip to Kentucky due to medical reasons. This trip, albeit shorter and closer to home, was a long-awaited opportunity for me to get my “truck camper groove” back. Ev and Bill had all the right words to say in their texts to me. I was reminded that “journeys and adventures” are part of my truck camper vocabulary. Aw, jeez, what a way to start this truck camper trip, but Ev and Bill are right and David is there for me!

David called a local RV repair service but they were too busy to fit me in their schedule. Since Prescott, AZ is my next destination tomorrow, Ev, a talented sleuth when the situation calls for one, found, via Yelp, two RV mobile services in the Prescott area. David connected with one of them – Ponderosa Mobile RV Service - and gave me Dale’s text number. I contacted Dale and, per his request, verified I would text him my campsite space number after I get there tomorrow. With that plan now in the works, I called it a day, put on my swimsuit, and let the Colorado River give me some comfort.

Sunset, the Colorado River, Cattail Cove State Park, AZ


















I have no words.....

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

On my way out of the state park I stopped first at the ranger’s station and bought two bags of ice. The purchase of ice, I decided, is coming out of my “Food” budget. So there!

This being a 4-hour drive to Prescott, I got back on Rt. 95N, going south to Parker, the start point for the long drive. Although I had already researched my driving routes for this entire trip, I decided to give my harried brain a break and use my GPS for this drive. I drove along Routes 72E, 60E, 71N, 89N, and 69N to Prescott and arrived at the Lynx Lake Campground, which is affiliated with the Prescott National Forest.

The drive today, which was a clear and sunny day, was lovely. The first three routes took me through desert terrain which changed from barren dirt brown, to a livelier display of green desert foliage, to red soil here and jagged rocks there. Rt. 89 was a gorgeous mountainous drive up the higher elevations of the Prescott National Forest. The many 20-30 mph hairpin curves, going uphill and downhill, required intense concentration. “Don’t forget, MAP, ole girl, the physics of the centrifugal force, especially with a heavy truck and camper combo.” Capping it off, the marriage of the blue sky and the forest of green treetops made for a spectacular view of the heavens.

Arriving at my campsite I texted Dale my space number – G Loop, #29. We’re set for tomorrow, time TBD.

There are no hookups at this campground. No WiFi either. The lake is nearby but I didn’t know where. There are trees all around me and, right next to my site is a blocked service road with a “Camp Host” sign. Surrounded by these images that look nothing like Palm Springs, and detecting the feel of a cool breeze, I sat outside in my camp chair to rest and read the latest AARP magazine. I had my back to the one-way road, opting to enjoy the view of the trees and a nearby hill in front of me.

Sometimes I forget – ignore, really – that I’m Deaf and there’s this unspoken, but perfectly understandable, rule about what your back should not be facing. Sure enough, I was startled when this man invaded my space and stood right in front of me. He apologized and said he kinda thought I couldn’t hear him call out to me from behind. He said that he wanted to make a reservation for a week, maybe two weeks. When I told him I wasn’t responsible for that, he pointed to the sign. Ohhhhh, he thought I was the Camp Host! Trying to be helpful I showed him my reservation confirmation document which included phone numbers, email addresses, websites, etc. He thanked me and went on his way.

About five minutes later, and not having changed my sitting position, I was startled again, this time by a woman! She was the Camp Host! Her name, Lynn, was nicely stitched on the shirt of her PNF outfit. I told her about the fella and she said she’d encountered him and told him the campground was fully booked, on the weekends, until the end of October. Aw, so sweet of her to stop by, get my heart pounding for a second time, just to say “hello” and let me know she took care of the fella with the jeep.

When I initially reviewed this campground’s map [months ago] I selected this campsite because of its close proximity to Lynx Lake. But for the trees all around me, I couldn’t see the lake. So, with Lynn standing right in front of me, I asked her where it was. She pointed out the location, and then she pointed to the blocked service road. There are trails to the lake but she told me she was giving me permission to go down to the lake via that “Employees Only” service road. “Oh, be still my heart, isn’t Lynn the sweetest!” She gave me directions and told me her home was right down there. Camp Hosts live in their own RVs and Lynn said her season here is from April to October.

As I was doing my Arizona research for this trip, Ev told me about Lynx Lake and the loop path that goes around the lake. She mentioned the campground as well and the eagles that she and David saw when they walked on that path. Lynn said the path was 2.6 miles around the lake. Not really doable for me at this time but, around 5:15 pm, just as the sun was dipping lower in the sky, I made my way to the lake for a look-see. Returning to my campsite I bumped into Lynn, who was now off-duty and walking her dog. And a beautiful dog it was! I could see a hint of “Labrador” and Lynn confirmed that Annie was a Greyhound-Labrador mix. Annie was all Greyhound in the face and legs. A gorgeous combo this one! 

The sun was setting as I sat outside with my Rum/Diet Coke cocktail. I pondered my day, and the last few days, and looked forward, with anticipation, to my date with Dale tomorrow… 

Lynx Lake, adjacent to the Lynx Lake Campground, Prescott, AZ


Half moon...a calming presence in the twilight, Lynx Lake.

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

It got cold during the night! Tis the higher elevation of course! I had left several windows open when I went to bed, so closed those and put on my sweatpants and socks. Good enough!

Sitting outside for a little while this morning, looking at the trees, I saw something sparkling in the distance. The lake! Through a gap just wide enough between branches, I could see the morning sun glistening off the surface of the water. Clearing away trees, just to provide a lake view, may be something some campgrounds would do. I personally enjoy looking at the water, watching for birds and whatever. That said, I’m glad they didn’t do that here. Wanna see the lake? Go walk to it.

Having put it off long enough, considering the circumstances, I did a bit more organizing inside the camper, putting things away in more appropriate places. I did more catch-up writing in my journal, sitting outside in the nice breeze…the cold of last night already forgotten.

The morning wore on and I hadn’t yet heard from Dale. I texted him and asked if he had an ETA in mind. He said it would be “sometime after noon.” Needing more ice for the coolers I decided I had just enough time to make a run for it.

First stop: Arco gas station. No ice. The cashier suggested Walmart. Where is it was my question. She asked this young guy behind me how to get there. He responded but with something like four, maybe five, front teeth missing I was too distracted by the gap to try to lipread him. The nice lady cashier interpreted. He then said it was “behind In and Out” which I didn’t understand at all, even from the cashier, so she wrote it down. “Oh, that hamburger place…thank you!” were my parting words.

Second stop: Walmart, but I missed it because it was obscured by In and Out and some other structure. Turned around…ack, road construction! Got there, bought two bags, returned to my campsite.

Dale texted soon after I was back sitting in my camp chair. Just before 2 pm, this big “Ponderosa RV Mobile Service” van pulled up to my site. Dale introduced himself and told me the name of the fellow who came with him. He repeated a few times what looked to me like “Ken.” The other fella wrote down his name – Ian. Quite observant Ian was, reading the look on my face, he then wrote “E-N” and that was all I needed to pronounce his name correctly.

Both guys did the same reset procedure that David had done last Monday morning. They tested the power sources -- the propane (LP), the batteries (DC), and, since I didn’t have shore power here, I activated the generator for the electricity (AC). As David had also done, Ian then set the fridge’s “On” mode to AU (automatic) and, again, the fridge selected “LP” (propane). Ian advised that I give the fridge 24 hours to become sufficiently cool. No idea, Dale said, why the “no co” problem resurfaced. A mystery I will discuss with David when I’m back home.

Rearranging the stuff in the newly iced coolers, I decided to throw out a few items that had become, in a word, questionable. On the positive side, I had fresh ice for this evening’s cocktail! 

Thursday, September 12, 2024

As expected, it was cold again last night. I was better prepared this time, going to bed in sweatpants, flannel shirt, and socks. During the night I decided to also put on my wool cap and gloves. It’s long been my preference, to shake off the chill, to turn on the heat when I get up in the morning. As I was getting warmed up while making the bed this morning, I threw on an extra blanket. I have a sleeping bag, too. Maybe later…

Much to my relief, the fridge “On” light was still on. I didn’t open the fridge and freezer doors to feel the temps. Best to leave it be and give it the 24 hours needed to cool.

I left Lynx Lake at 9 am for the 4+ hours drive to my next destination, Lyman Lake State Park in St. Johns, AZ. Again, still feeling some mental fatigue, I opted to use the GPS, which guided me to Rts. 69E, 169E, I-17N, I-40E, and Rt. 180E. The two-lane Rt. 180, from Holbrook to St. Johns, was a dicey 60-mile drive. Many sections of the road were rough, other spots were bouncy, all of which forced me to slow down considerably to avoid being jostled too much. My truck – a 2006 Ford F-350 long bed dually – is equipped to handle such roughness, but it’s a whole other story when there’s a heavy camper on top.

I arrived at the state park just before 2 pm and stopped at the ranger’s station to check in. I had my confirmation document with me and showed it to the young fella on duty. When he spoke to me, I told him I couldn’t hear. The poor guy became befuddled and sort of looked around as if he was trying to decide something. Still pointing to my document, I asked if he had a problem. He said no and then grabbed a pen to write something. When he showed it to me, I became confused because it was a drawing. Looking closer, I realized he had drawn a vehicle (front or back, I couldn’t tell) and marked a circle around where the license plate would be. Oh, the poor dear, he needed my license plate number. Getting that sorted out, I was halfway to my truck when I turned back. “Yo, am I supposed to have a site tag for my truck?” Yup, he forgot to give it to me.

This is a very pretty and very clean state park. I selected Site #15 and it’s a good pick. I have water and 30-amp electricity (not using the water though), a veranda with a metal picnic table, and a really nice view of Lyman Lake. After finishing up on routine “arrival” chores, I checked the fridge and noted that the power mode, since I now have electricity here, had switched to AC. The temps also felt cooler but I decided to leave my stuff in the cooler until tomorrow.

I sat outside in the shade for a while, writing my journal. Following that I walked over to the nearby “Day Use” beach. I saw no other person at the lake. Nobody was swimming, nobody was boating or paddle boarding. The lake, in all its calm, blue splendor, was quiet. There weren’t even any birds or water birds around. The lakeview cabins, available for rent, were empty. I also noted just a few RVs around the campground. Maybe because today is Thursday…? 

View of Lyman Lake from my camper's back door.

This evening, I filled my two ice trays with water and put them in the freezer. The results tomorrow morning will hopefully give me the answer I want. I do have a new issue of concern, though. The rough drive on Rt. 180 today caused the lever that opens/closes my cabover vent dome, to detach and fall to the bed. I tried to screw the lever back on but didn’t do it correctly. I texted David about this. He suggested I take pictures and he’ll see how we can fix this together.  

Friday, September 13, 2024

I slept fairly well last night, staying warm with the alterations I made with sleepwear, blankets, etc. First thing this morning, I checked my ice trays. Frozen, alleluia!! The food items in the cooler were wiped down, checked for seepage from melting ice, and transferred to the fridge. The ice trays were prepared for a fresh batch of ice. Seems I’m good to go for the rest of this trip. Although I’ve travelled in my camper since 2006, this was an entirely new learning experience for me…and I’m grateful for that!

While I’ve been able to stay current with my daily handwritten journal, I can’t say the same for my “MAP’s Camper Adventures” blog. Being without shore power and WiFi can set me back quite a bit. I could activate the generator to get electricity, but I often choose not to. Last night, with electricity here for my laptop, I finally started to work on my blog, beginning with my entry for Sunday, September 8th. I worked steadily for several hours…which may be another reason why I slept fairly well last night.

Today, I spent all day working on my blog, catching up on the events of this past week. I paused only once, taking a late afternoon break outside with my cocktail. Then, after having a sandwich for supper, it was back to work on the laptop. Ah, tis the life of a truck camper aficionado

Saturday, September 14, 2024

This morning, per David’s request, I took a few pictures of the loose cabover vent lever and texted them to him. He soon responded that I needed a part called the “Escape Vent Handle.” It was then obvious to me that, by the looks of it, my current apparatus was broken and needed to be replaced by someone who isn’t me.

Broken...definitely broken...absolutely...no question.

With the KOA in Holbrook, AZ as my destination today, I left the state park around 10:30 am. I didn’t want to go back to Holbrook on that rough and bouncy Rt. 180 so I took a slightly longer way back – and, as I got going, I hoped those alternate roads were smoother. (They were!)

I headed back to St. Johns and connected to Routes 61S (towards Concho), 60W (towards Show Low), and 77N through Snowflake to Holbrook. On the approach to Show Low groves of trees on either side of the highway materialized quite suddenly…and beautifully so. A look at the map later revealed that Rts. 60 and 77 both traverse through a section of the Sitgreaves National Forest. Checking online – “…tree species is ponderosa pine with juniper and pinyon pine...” 

At the KOA, after I set up the camper at my assigned site, I went back to the office and asked the lady who checked me in about a local RV repair service that could assist me with the cabover vent lever. She shook her head and said there isn’t one here in the Holbrook area. That surprised me because Holbrook is a famous old Route 66 town and lots of RVers stop and stay here.

I then asked if there was someone here at the KOA who might be able to assist me. At that precise moment, seeing their maintenance guy (Donald) through the window, she took me outside to talk with him. Within a few minutes he was at my camper, stepped inside, took a look at my lever, and confirmed that that apparatus was indeed broken. He left to go see if he had something similar in the maintenance building. He came back, all smiles, and holding the very piece I needed! To fit this new part through a notch, Donald had to go up on the roof then come back inside to screw it in. He showed me where the break was in the old piece. This took all of about 15 minutes and as he was leaving, he declined payment. I texted David the update and he replied that there’s “…still some great people in this world.”  I agree!!    

Donald, on the roof...


...and under the cabover vent.


You served me well, until you no longer could.

The fridge has been working fine and I’m glad for that. If fridge problems persisted throughout this trip, I would have had to resort to using my coolers. As for the vent lever, it was important that this problem be fixed, and as quickly as possible. Not only do I use that vent opening to let air in, that very opening is the camper’s emergency exit. Additionally, if the plastic dome that covers that opening on the roof isn’t secured, it could pop open and blow off.

So, thank you, David, for telling me exactly what I needed – a new “Escape Vent Handle.”

And, thank you, Donald for being that “someone” who helped me out.

I’ll be here at this KOA tomorrow. They have a swimming pool!



6 comments:

  1. Hi, Maryanne lovely landscape so peaciful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey MAP. I loved your "lessons learned" points. It is amazing that you have wonderful support system for your RV. I was so touched by David's endless support for you and amazing Donald's 15-minute fix. There are not many people who are honest and humble like David and Donald. Thanks for sharing beautiful pictures as well. I am sure you will start enjoying your RV after some hiccups. Wondeful start to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Where there's a will, there's a way" and "It takes a village" come to mind! Your guardian angels are flying as fast as they can! Take a break now and let 'them' rest :) I see more watery sunsets in your future. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MAP, I really enjoyed reading about your trip, your problems, beautiful places to visit, about your helpers that help you, etc.
    Keep up enjoying your trip!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi MAP, I really enjoyed reading about your trip, your problems, beautiful places to visit, about your helpers that help you, etc.
    Keep up enjoying your trip!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Map, I (michele from Pa)enjoyed your blog... and yes a rough start for sure! Hope you enjoy your next adventures

    ReplyDelete